Babies can be persnickety little human beings who require much attention and a lot of guess work until their caregivers understand the signals that they are giving. So, when a baby wakes up crying it could be for several reasons.
Why My Baby Wakes Up Crying?
- They are hungry. Babies digest their food more quickly than adults do so even if they only have a short nap, they could be hungry when they wake up.
- Their diaper or bedding is soiled. Babies are unable to hold their bladder or bowels and will make a mess. When they are in a deep sleep, they may not realize that they have messed in their diaper or bedding. Once the baby wakes up, they will be uncomfortable and demand a diaper change.
- Nightmares and night terrors will cause a baby to wake up crying. They do not understand that some things are real and some are not. Nightmares and night terrors are common when a baby has a stressful day and is unsure of their environment.
- A baby that has had a rough day full of crying will probably have a restless night and when then wake up crying. Create a soothing environment for the baby prior to going to bed, either for a nap or for the night. Soothing music or sounds will help them have a restful sleep and wake up renewed.
- A noise has startled them. Babies startle easily anyway and a baby that is completely relaxed in sleep will wake up, become frightened and start to cry.